As you’ve heard, here at the blog we did a Christmas card exchange. Well, not necessarily Christmas but I went with that theme.
I worked out my idea in my sketchbook and didn’t (I was sure I had) take a picture and now that pad has gone AWOL. It was simple trees. OK, I can use my computer to make a triangle by using the draw a shape ting in my wordprocessor program. No, problem. Now just drag it bigger to make the start size……nope triangles do not do that. I switched to publisher and with much fuss and bother and guidelines, I added the same amount to all sides and made a larger one.
I have already unpacked my stash of prefelt and put it into draws just like I was an organised, neat and tidy person. Well, that will last until I get everything else out of boxes and have to find a place for it all. Anyway, I got out the red and the white. seemed like appropriate colours. the red for the background and the white for the trees.
I wet the prefelt and shrunk it down to the size I wanted. checking against the picture I drew in my sketch pad.
then I cut the 2 sizes of trees the small ones will get needled onto the background and the big ones will be wet felted.
No jumping forward, I didn’t like the white trees but again I was sure I had taken some pictures here. Clearly, I was doing something wrong. I had my bag from the felted sheep glass handy and started adding curles. See the messy tendancies do come in handy sometimes. Now they are much better, textured, colourful and happy.
Here are the triangles ready for their turn felting
Again wite was do stark so I added some wool to them first. Blue, Green with sparkle and White with silk.
and all done and as shrunk as they can go.
I then added some curls as garland and embroidered some stars at the top so they look more like Christmas trees and not just random triangles. sorry no single picture of the green one.
For these trees, I added some pins and some gold string so they could be pinned or hung.
I thought about adding some baubles but |I thought they looked crowded on the small trees. They finished at about 2 inches I think.
Next, I pinned the trees to the card. I was going to send it this way but the packaging would have been too fat and turned it into a parcel and doubled the shipping. I took them off and put them into the envelope separately.
Usually, I make my cards postcard by ironing a print of the back of a paper postcard to it using fusible web. But I couldn’t find it. I printed out a card and tried to sew it onto the front of the card. I tried 3 times to do it and then gave up. I stuck some self-stick velcro dots onto the card and pressed the felt to it. No picture of that either as by then it was late and I wanted it in the envelope and ready to take with me to work the next day. It managed to fly over to the UK in record time and arrive safely at Lindsay’s house.
Lindsay kindly sent me a picture of what it looked like on the card.