The last of the 1st quarter Challenge

This is the last of my contributions to this quarter’s challenge. I am looking forward to finding out what the next quarter’s challenge is.

Last time I showed you my circles of silk and wool to be made into flowers.

First, I rubbed and rolled them until they were well felted. Then I folded them into a cone and started rolling in my hands and pulling on the point. That resulted in this:

Next, I cut some leaves from the flat green piece and needled them onto the flowers.

I thought they need some stamen. I used locks. These are Wensleydale cross locks I bought already dyed. The first few I made, I didn’t like. The stamens were too long and they looked more like some sort of horror movie flower monster that was sticking out their tongues.

I shortened them. I think I need to dye some locks yellow for the rest. I should have time as we are all staying home.

I will add pins, probably safety pins, to these. Then they can go on a hat or coat or anything really.

I haven’t found good broach pins yet. The ones in local stores all seem to fall apart after a few uses. I had a link to a supplier but there was no way to tell which ones were good and which ones were not. I will have to order samples maybe.

I was surprised while editing the flowers on how hairy they look. You don’t really notice them in person. The camera really picks them up. The other interesting thing I discovered was that the lid of my new laptop is great for taking pictures. It is flat black and doesn’t reflect the light.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.